So you may be wondering why my blog is titled this...well there isn't one specific reason why. First, I think it's a great quote from the movie Forrest Gump. Also, I like the message it teaches. Life is unexpected, and no one knows what lies before them. We have to take the chance and go see for ourselves if we ever want to accomplish something. This is also a lot like reading. We start out reading a book not knowing where it will take us. The ending is unknown until we reach it; sometimes it ends good and sometimes it ends bad. However, we will never know how it turns out in the end if we do not keep going.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Kite Runner ~ theme

"What was so funny was that, for the first time since the winter of 1975, I felt at peace...I hadn't been happy and I hadn't felt better, not at all. But I did now. My body was broken - just how badly I wouldn't find out until later - but I felt healed. Healed at last. I laughed" (page 289).

This passage shows the moment when Amir finally begins to feel at peace. A major theme of this book is redemption, and this passage displays the beginning of it. Amir feels responsible for what Assef did to Hassan many years ago. He regrets not doing anything to help him and carries that guilt with him throughout his life. After fighting with Assef many years later and standing up to his childhood fears, he feels relieved that he has been able to defend Hassan's son, Sohrab. This moment is a bit ironic too because at the time Amir is physically broken, but he feels mentally strong now and at peace. At the time in his life when his body is so broken, he feels healed. This passage displays an ironic and vital theme of the book. Redemption is the theme that drives the plot to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment