So you may be wondering why my blog is titled this...well there isn't one specific reason why. First, I think it's a great quote from the movie Forrest Gump. Also, I like the message it teaches. Life is unexpected, and no one knows what lies before them. We have to take the chance and go see for ourselves if we ever want to accomplish something. This is also a lot like reading. We start out reading a book not knowing where it will take us. The ending is unknown until we reach it; sometimes it ends good and sometimes it ends bad. However, we will never know how it turns out in the end if we do not keep going.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Frankenstein ~ creature...monster

"Man! you may hate; but beware! Your hours will pass in dread and misery, and soon the bolt will fall which must ravish from you your happiness forever. Are you to be happy, while I grovel in the intensity of my wretchedness? You can blast my other passions; but revenge remains - revenge, henceforth dearer than light or food! I may die; but first you, my tyrant and tormentor, shall curse the sun that gazes on your misery" (page 123).

This was about the point that I decided to start referring to him as a monster instead of a creature. Originally, I believed him to be just a misunderstood creation. He was judged as a monster without ever knowing him; therefore, I thought he should hardly be called a "monster" since he really was not a bad creature. However, the actions and motivations of the creature change, and I now believe him to be a monster. His motivations are now based on revenge and a hatred of humankind rather than just the initial frustration at being rejected. He seems to completely turn evil after Frankenstein refuses his demand for creating a mate. His change in motivation leads to the change in his "name." He speaks and acts now out of hatred and vengeance; thus, I believe he should now be called a monster instead of being given the title of "creature" out of courtesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment