So you may be wondering why my blog is titled this...well there isn't one specific reason why. First, I think it's a great quote from the movie Forrest Gump. Also, I like the message it teaches. Life is unexpected, and no one knows what lies before them. We have to take the chance and go see for ourselves if we ever want to accomplish something. This is also a lot like reading. We start out reading a book not knowing where it will take us. The ending is unknown until we reach it; sometimes it ends good and sometimes it ends bad. However, we will never know how it turns out in the end if we do not keep going.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Frankenstein ~ reunited

"Remember, that I am thy creature; I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed. Everywhere I see bliss, from which I alone am irrevocably excluded. I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend. Make me happy, and I shall again be virtuous" (page 69).

Once again creature and creator are reunited...aww...well...not exactly... Victor Frankenstein believes he has created a monster and murderer. He fears for his life as the creature approaches, and he threatens and supposes the idea of killing his creation. However, we soon discover that maybe the creature is not as evil as he appears. One thing I found very surprising was that the creature can talk, not just mumble sounds. He approaches Frankenstein and starts speaking in eloquently spoken dialect...definitely not what I was expecting. He also begs Frankenstein to listen to his side of the story; he wants to explain to him that he is not an evil creature. When Frankenstein first spotted him in the mountains, my first thought was that he was going to hurt or to kill him. To my surprise, he spoke and tried to reason and to prove his innocence. This made me wonder how the creature is able to speak so fluently. I have a theory...it's probably wrong...but I cannot help but wonder if maybe part of the creature's brain is recovering from his past life. Frankenstein formed him from the bodies of the dead. The creature describes how his sense at first did not work, but over time they developed. Could this also work with his brain? Is it possible he is remembering parts of his past life from who ever he was before? ...or maybe I'm just not supposed to think this far into it all...

No comments:

Post a Comment