So you may be wondering why my blog is titled this...well there isn't one specific reason why. First, I think it's a great quote from the movie Forrest Gump. Also, I like the message it teaches. Life is unexpected, and no one knows what lies before them. We have to take the chance and go see for ourselves if we ever want to accomplish something. This is also a lot like reading. We start out reading a book not knowing where it will take us. The ending is unknown until we reach it; sometimes it ends good and sometimes it ends bad. However, we will never know how it turns out in the end if we do not keep going.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Frankenstein ~ THE END

"'But soon,' he cried, with sad and solemn enthusiasm, 'I shall die, and what I now feel be no longer felt. Soon these burning miseries will be extinct. I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly, and exult in the agony of the torturing flames. The light of that conflagration will fade away; my ashes will be swept into the sea by the winds. My spirit will sleep in peace; or it it thinks, it will not surely think thus. Farewell'" (page 166).

I found to be somewhat surprising and somewhat expected. I expected for Victor Frankenstein to die in the end, and I figured the monster would see him again. However, I did not expect the reaction from the monster to be how it was. The monster was sad and regretful of how he treated his creator. I was expecting the monster to be glad that he had finally achieved what he had set out to do. He wanted revenge on his creator. He wanted him to suffer all the feelings of abandonment, isolation, and grief that he had experienced. The monster killed those close to him who he loved, and he finally killed Frankenstein. I was expecting the monster to find satisfaction at his success and revenge. However, he is grieving over the death of Victor Frankenstein instead. The ending shows the varied thoughts and feelings of the creature/monster throughout the book; he appears to be one way, but in reality he is often the opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment