So you may be wondering why my blog is titled this...well there isn't one specific reason why. First, I think it's a great quote from the movie Forrest Gump. Also, I like the message it teaches. Life is unexpected, and no one knows what lies before them. We have to take the chance and go see for ourselves if we ever want to accomplish something. This is also a lot like reading. We start out reading a book not knowing where it will take us. The ending is unknown until we reach it; sometimes it ends good and sometimes it ends bad. However, we will never know how it turns out in the end if we do not keep going.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Frankenstein ~ situational irony

"I had worked for nearly two years, for the sole purpose of infusing life into an inanimate body. For this I had deprived myself of rest and health. I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded moderation; but now that I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heard. Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I rushed out of the room, and continued a long time traversing my bedchamber, unable to compose my mind to sleep" (page 35).

Well...I pictured this scene going differently in my head...I had always thought of the moment Frankenstein created his creature as being the stereotypical mad scientist scene. I pictured him giving an evil laugh as this long awaited moment of his monster's creation took place. After spending two years working on the single task of creating life, he had finally achieved his goal. However, he was not proud of his work as I expected him to be. He was disgusted, ashamed, and scared. Immediately, he regretted what he had done and ran away. He could not even face the being that he himself had given life to. I found this moment to be completely ironic. He had devoted his whole childhood and education toward furthering his education of science. Finally, he had achieved the very thing he had worked so hard to do, yet right away he realized his wrong doing. IT'S ALIVE...though he immediately wishes it never had been.

1 comment:


  1. Your post is superb. Thanks for sharing us updated information.

    Macy
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete