So you may be wondering why my blog is titled this...well there isn't one specific reason why. First, I think it's a great quote from the movie Forrest Gump. Also, I like the message it teaches. Life is unexpected, and no one knows what lies before them. We have to take the chance and go see for ourselves if we ever want to accomplish something. This is also a lot like reading. We start out reading a book not knowing where it will take us. The ending is unknown until we reach it; sometimes it ends good and sometimes it ends bad. However, we will never know how it turns out in the end if we do not keep going.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Perrine's "The Nature of Proof in the Interpretation of Poetry"

Overall, I agree with Perrine's approach to poetry. However, I do not agree on one aspect of his interpretations. He bases the "correct" interpretation off of which one can account for all the details. When reading the Emily Dickinson poem, Perrine proves that his interpretation is correct, but no one else shared this same opinion. Everyone else interpreted this poem to be about a garden or a meadow, but Perrine proves them wrong. This is the point I disagree with. If everyone reads the poem and interprets it the same way, then how can they all be wrong? If every reader interprets it wrong, then clearly the author does not specifically state the poem's meaning. Therefore, the author writes it expecting for everyone to interpret a different way, so how can there be a right and wrong way? If the author wanted everyone to read it and to interpret it "correctly," then they would have written it that way. The author's ambiguity allows the reader to create their own interpretation.

Reading this article has changed the way I think about interpreting poems. Instead of assuming the first thing that comes to mind is correct, it made me look closer at the poems. It made me re-read them in order to pay attention to small details that may have been overlooked. The first time I read the poem "The Night-March," I thought it was about an army. I never would have guessed that it was actually about stars. I thought the poem was describing the soldiers moving quietly through the dark. I assumed that was the "correct" interpretation, so I did not pay attention to the words like "beaming," "bright," "gleam," "twinkling," and "shining" which all describe stars. Reading this article has helped me to re-read and pay closer attention to details in poems. It has also helped me to consider different interpretations other than the first one I think of.

2 comments:

  1. so do you not agree with the details that Perrine points out as eliminating a garden as a possible interpretation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I agree that Perrine has a good point and is able to prove his point with evidence from the poem...but I don't agree that there is only the one possible interpretation. Perrine even said, "Not one of them interpreted the poem as I did." The majority of our class also saw this interpretation differently. I think if most everyone interprets the poem the same way (even though that interpretation may not be "correct") then it's a valid interpretation. So...either the author of the poem intended for there to be multiple interpretations...or they were not successful at achieving the intended interpretation. If they had meant for there to be one and only one interpretation, then they would have written it that way.

    ReplyDelete