So you may be wondering why my blog is titled this...well there isn't one specific reason why. First, I think it's a great quote from the movie Forrest Gump. Also, I like the message it teaches. Life is unexpected, and no one knows what lies before them. We have to take the chance and go see for ourselves if we ever want to accomplish something. This is also a lot like reading. We start out reading a book not knowing where it will take us. The ending is unknown until we reach it; sometimes it ends good and sometimes it ends bad. However, we will never know how it turns out in the end if we do not keep going.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Re-Thinking

After reading the chapter "Notes" which begins on page 155, it made me completely re-think the previous chapter. "Speaking of Courage," the previous chapter, displayed a day in the life of Norman Bowker after the war. Originally, I thought this chapter was simply showing the day he returned to his hometown and how things had changed. However, the next chapter made me realize that past chapter meant more to Norman Bowker than I had thought. The chapter showed the situation and feelings that he had felt not only on that single day but throughout the rest of his life. After he returned from the war, he did not know where he belonged. The life he had left before the war was no longer the same now. "The thing is, there's no place to go. Not just in this lousy little town. In general. My life, I mean. It's almost like I got killed over in Nam...Hard to describe" (page 156). Norman Bowker did not know what to do now that the war was over. He did not know where to go or what to do. Then, he hung himself. This made me completely re-think that past chapter. It gave new meaning to that Fourth of July that seemed like a simple drive around the lake.

1 comment:

  1. "Notes" definitely makes "Speaking of Courage" more tragic

    ReplyDelete