So you may be wondering why my blog is titled this...well there isn't one specific reason why. First, I think it's a great quote from the movie Forrest Gump. Also, I like the message it teaches. Life is unexpected, and no one knows what lies before them. We have to take the chance and go see for ourselves if we ever want to accomplish something. This is also a lot like reading. We start out reading a book not knowing where it will take us. The ending is unknown until we reach it; sometimes it ends good and sometimes it ends bad. However, we will never know how it turns out in the end if we do not keep going.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Anthropomorphism

"The need for revenge kept eating at me" (page 200). O' Brien mentions this when talking about trying to get even with Bobby Jorgenson. After Bobby Jorgenson improperly treated O' Brien's gunshot wound, all O' Brien could think about was revenge. This is what he means when he says this. He does not actually mean he is being eaten by revenge. He means that the thought is consuming his mind, and that is all he can think about. "I even remembered the rage. But I couldn't feel it anymore. In the end, all I felt was that coldness down inside my chest. Number one: the guy had almost killed me. Number two: there had to be consequences" (page 201). O' Brien still remembered what Bobby Jorgenson had done, and now he wanted there to be consequences. O' Brien tried to come up with a way to make Bobby Jorgenson pay.

1 comment:

  1. Were you as surprised at O'Brien's craving for revenge as I was?

    ReplyDelete