So you may be wondering why my blog is titled this...well there isn't one specific reason why. First, I think it's a great quote from the movie Forrest Gump. Also, I like the message it teaches. Life is unexpected, and no one knows what lies before them. We have to take the chance and go see for ourselves if we ever want to accomplish something. This is also a lot like reading. We start out reading a book not knowing where it will take us. The ending is unknown until we reach it; sometimes it ends good and sometimes it ends bad. However, we will never know how it turns out in the end if we do not keep going.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Kite Runner ~ regret

"I finally had what I'd wanted all those years. Except now that I had it, I felt as empty as this unkempt pool I was dangling my legs into" (page 85).

Amir often feels responsible for what happened to Hassan. He regrets not standing up for his best friend, and he regrets taking advantage of Hassan's loyalty to him. Amir stood by and did nothing the whole time Hassan was being attacked in the alley by Assef and his gang. He could have done something to stop them or tried to help, but he was too scared and ran. The rest of this story seems to be motivated by this event early-on in the book. Although Amir has finally earned the attention of his father, he does not deserve it and cannot enjoy it. Later in the book, Amir marries a woman named Soraya. She has a regretful past and admits it to Amir before their wedding. However, Amir still agrees to marry her. "But I think a big part of the reason I didn't care about Soraya's past was that I had one of my own. I knew all about regret" (page 180). Amir bears the burden of regret for the rest of his life. He regrets his actions, or lack thereof, and is forever trying to forget and redeem his inner peace. Throughout the rest of the story, he is always reminded of his decision to do nothing and that regret keeps him going.

No comments:

Post a Comment