So you may be wondering why my blog is titled this...well there isn't one specific reason why. First, I think it's a great quote from the movie Forrest Gump. Also, I like the message it teaches. Life is unexpected, and no one knows what lies before them. We have to take the chance and go see for ourselves if we ever want to accomplish something. This is also a lot like reading. We start out reading a book not knowing where it will take us. The ending is unknown until we reach it; sometimes it ends good and sometimes it ends bad. However, we will never know how it turns out in the end if we do not keep going.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

p. 1119 #4

The dramatic suspense of Othello is revealed as the storyline unfolds and various unexpected events occur. Various individual characters have knowledge that the others, including the audience at times, do not possess. Cassio's plan is revealed to the audience piece by piece; however, it still remains a mystery to the other characters. Cassio plans to use Roderigo to get what he wants; he is going to use Roderigo to get rid of Othello. Therefore, Roderigo would get Desdemona, and Cassio would get his job as captain. Cassio devises a plan, "But partly led to diet my revenge for that I do suspect the lusty Moor hath leaped into my seat. The thought whereof doth like a poisonous mineral gnaw my inwards, and nothing can or shall content my soul till I am evened with him, wife for wife" (II.i.273-278). The other characters of the story are not aware of Cassio's plot which adds suspense. Since no one knows of his secret plan to get rid of Othello, the dramatic effect of the story intensifies.

No comments:

Post a Comment